Addition & subtraction
- Add and subtract numbers mentally, including:
- - a 3-digit number and 1s
- - a 3-digit number and 10s
- - a 3-digit number and 100s
- Add and subtract numbers with up to 3-digits, using formal written methods of columnar addition and subtraction.
- Estimate the answer to a calculation and use inverse operation to check answers.
- Solve problems, including missing number problems.
Multiplication and division
- Look at equal groups
- Recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 3, 5, and 10 multiplication tables
We will start the term looking at the text Tin Forest - linked to our topic work. We will explore characters, settings and hidden meanings within the book before writing a persuasive letter. Following the Tin Forest, we will read the Iron Man by Ted Hughes and write a newspaper article based on the main character.
The grammatical focus we will be revising and learning:
- capital letters and full stops used correctly and consistently;
- powerful adjectives and verbs used appropriately;
- commas for description;
- rhetorical questions
- Noun phrases
- Relative clauses